Health, fitness and wellbeing
With plenty of opportunities on offer, it’s easy to stay healthy and well in Oxfordshire.
There are plenty of opportunities to stay well, fit and happy in Oxfordshire, with clubs and drop-in and support groups everywhere. Some are for young people only, while others are suitable for all ages.
Being active and keeping fit is important for a happy and healthy life. Anything active can help – from going out for a walk to spending time in the gym. Some activities can be done alone, such as jogging, while others can only be done in groups, such as team sports.
Whatever type of physical exercise you like there will probably be a club you can join, from local running clubs and martial arts in school halls to fitness clubs offering personal trainers and state-of-the-art gym equipment. Check out your council and private sports centres too – they offer classes to people of all ages and often have special membership rates for young people.
Health or wellbeing drop-in groups
Obviously you can go to your GP or practice nurse if you have any particular health issues – physical or emotional – but there are also places that offer special groups for young people. The benefit of these is that everyone attending will be around your age and with similar concerns and issues.
Going to any health-based group or drop-in session is something that anyone can find awkward or embarrassing. But getting information and support is good for you and your life because you can:
- get expert and reliable information
- find encouragement to make positive changes to your life
- receive support on particular issues, e.g. a health condition or illness.
Find out more…
Your local health centre and GP should have lists of local groups and you can also search online.
- Bodyzone: Young people chose the name for this confidential drop-in service which provides information and support on all aspects of physical, emotional, mental and sexual health and contraception. You can find your Bodyzone in your local school, or in a youth setting near a school.
- Young People's Health drop-ins offer confidential advice on relationships, stress, healthy eating, smoking, drugs and alcohol, contraceptive advice, free condoms and pregnancy testing. They also offer a confidential text service.
- Health walks have been compiled by Oxfordshire County Council so you can get out and enjoy the county’s countryside for free.
Search for Health and well-being groups on Activities Oxfordshire