Results Day 2014 - Are you ready?
Results day can be a worrying time, but there is lots of support available in Oxfordshire to help you find your perfect destination
Results Days 2014 are Thursday 14th August for A levels and Thursday 21st August for GCSEs. Make sure you are ready for if you don't get the results you were hoping for; or if you're not sure what to do next. Quick guide:
- The new RPA rules mean all young people have to stay in learning until 18
- This does not have to be school, it could be work-based learning or an apprenticeship
- Your local FE colleges can help you find courses and apprenticeships
Get your results day plan sorted
No matter what results you get, at 16+ there will be a learning destination for you - guaranteed. So don't panic, and have your plan of action ready!
- Find out who will be available at your school on results day to talk to. There may be special advisers on-site to help you with choices.
- Find some independent advice, for example from the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.
- Look out for information events in your area, like Apprenticeshops or pop-up College Advisers. We'll list them here closer to the time, so bookmark this page!
- Visit your local Further Education College - they have regular open days from now on, and you can find out about all the different courses they have on offer. Remember to check colleges over the border, too, like Reading, as they all offer different courses.
- If you need extra support, aren't sure what you're doing next, are worried that you'll only get one or no GCSEs at grade C or above, or need to build skills and confidence before your next step, there's support available from lots of services including early intervention hubs.
Download our Results Day Poster for a reminder of all the support available for you.
Where Can I Get Information?
- At your school
Look out for extra advisers, coaches and other staff who can help you decide on your next steps.
ApprenticeSHOPS are informal and friendly drop-in sessions where you can come and talk to staff about your options after school or college. They are free to come along to. By coming alonging you are not sigining up to anything, it is just a chance for you to check out what's available to you. The Apprenticeshops will be in the following places:
Abingdon ApprenticeSHOP, Community Shop, Bury Street Thu 14th Aug - Sat 17 Aug
Oxford Central ApprenticeSHOP, Westgate Shopping Centre Thu 21 August - Sat 23 Aug
Banbury ApprenticeSHOP, Castle Quay Shopping Centre Thu 28 Aug - Sat 30 Aug
Didcot ApprenticeSHOP, Orchard Centre (by Sainsburys) Thu 4 Sept - Sat 6 Sept
There are drop-ins at all the Early Intervention Hubs during early September. The following flyer contains information regarding times, dates and locations.
Drop-in extra support sessions at early Intervention Hubs: Careers information drop-ins
- Abingdon – Tues 9th and Tues 16th September, 10am - 1pm. The NET, Stratton Way, Abingdon OX14 3RG
- Banbury – Thurs 4th and Thurs 11th September, 1pm – 4pm. New Futures Centre, Hilton Road, Banbury OX16 0EJ
- Bicester – Thurs 11th Sept, 11am – 3pm The Courtyard Art Centre, Launton Road, Bicester OX26 6DJ
- Blackbird Leys – Weds 10th Sept, 1:30pm – 3pm ‘Blackbird Leys Job Shop’, Blackbird Leys Young People's Centre, Blackbird Leys Road OX4 6HW
- Didcot – Tues 9th Sept, 1pm – 4pm The Vibe Youth Centre, Park Road, Didcot OX11 8QX
- Kidlington – Weds 10th Sept, 11am – 3pm The Forum Youth Centre, Oxford Road, Kidlington OX5 1AB
- Oxford City Centre – Tues 9th and Thurs 11th Sept, 1pm – 4pm. Central Library, Westgate Centre, Oxford OX1 1DJ.
- Witney – Thurs 4th and Thurs 11th Sept, 11am – 3pm. Witney Early Intervention Hub, Witan Way, Witney OX28 4YA
- Online or from home
Chat to us here on oxme.info